View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kono
Define for me please "any other movement." ... Pulling the bat back after an attempted bunt is a natural movement
2nd part first - I don't agree. Certainly after a failed but attempt, the batter will be bringing the bat back to her shoulder - but pulling it back into the catcher? HTBT, for sure, but I can certainly visualize this as not appearing too natural. Besides, NFHS doesn't mention intent at all.

To help understand what NFHS means by "and other movement" it may help to quote the parts of the rule I left out...

Quote:
A batter shall not interfere with the catcher's fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher's attempt to play on a runner, ...
If the batter pulls the bat back into the catcher, intent doesn't matter. Natural movement, or a movement that would be considered part of the batter's normal movement matters, but not intent. Again, HTBT ... but certainly not out of line to visualize this as interference.