Thread: Calling
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, in another thread, the advice is "Call what you see." "Your bad calls should be no-calls", "If you don't see it, don't call it."

My question is what percentage of evidence do you need to see, before you call something?

Example, I'm trail, A1 is dribbling in one place in front of me. As A1 turns away from B1 who is closing in, B2 comes around behind and pokes the ball back toward B's basket. B1 sees what's happening, jumps out, grabs the ball, and breaks down court. A2 also sees what's coming and falls into step with the breaking B1. Now I'm new lead. I fall in behind B1 and A2, to try to get an angle. Just as B1 begins the shooting motion A2 tries to slap the ball loose. What I see is A2's arm reaching across, B1's arms moving up. I can't see the ball.

So how much do I need to see, to call this a foul? If I SEE contact between A2's arms and say B1's elbow, obviously I call it. But what if B1's outside arm is higher, A2's arm is clearly across B1's whole body, and so one would naturally extrapolate contact between A2's hand and B1's outer arm. Is that enough "seeing", or do I need to see the actual contact?

What if A2's arm is closer to B1's wrists, but the actual point of possible contact is screened by B1's body?

I can think of a lot of examples like this where I can "see" that there is probably a foul, and I can "see" that there's not much way there isn't a foul, but I didn't see the actual contact. Or I didn't see very much contact, although there would appear to have been a lot more than what I saw.

Give me some advice here. Thanks.