View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I know a lot of people will not buy into this, ...
And here's one.

My problem is not in gulping hard and calling it the way ASA-officialdom wants it called.

My problem is that this interpretation mildly conflicts with the written rules, and the POEs and case plays don't even hint at this interp.

If ASA wants this interp adopted, they need to say so in no uncertain terms in the POEs and/or case book.

JMHS (S=suggestion).
What is the purpose of the obstruction call?

Anyone want to debate that it is meant to keep a level playing field and make sure the obstruction doesn't give the defense an advantage? I don't think many would disagree with that.

However, how many believe it is a free pass for the runner to keep going as long as they can until played upon regardless of the defense's play?

I knew this would be an issue and specifically asked the question of Steve Rollins. He emphasized "at the time of the obstruction." I don't think I heard him wrong and Steve can check with Luau as I was sitting next to the PA delegation at the time.

Try this. The batter gets a hit to RF and is obstructed by F3. The runner continues to advance to 2B to which the BU had him protected. As he approaches 2B, F6 has the throw from F9 short hop and bounce off his glove about 10' straight up (as the BU, you think that there just may be a chance here, but you're not sure). Seeing this, the runner continues through 2B, but is easily put out about 3 steps from 3B.

Now what do you do? Are you waiting to see if the runner is put out prior to determining which base to which he was protected?

Until I'm told differently, I'll stick with what I'm instructed to do by the NUS. After all, is that not part of their job, and ours?