View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 05:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you do it in basketball, you have to get to the D1 level at the very least. Might take you 7 or more years to realistically get enough of a schedule to achieve that level. You could go to the NBA (or pro ball), at least they hire you and you work for them, unlike the other levels. But I only know of one official that does not have another job. Everyone else works somewhere else outside of officiating. This is not really a good way to make a living. And it is not very secure. Officials get fired every year from the pros and D1 officials get fired as well. One bad call or bad ruling, you lose all that money you worked hard to keep. Go to school, get a job that allows you to officiate and make some extra money to buy a car or to pay your rent or buy a house with. But I would not expect to make money and have no other job than officiating.

Now it could happen, but you have to be good, blessed, be at the right place at the right time to make that dream a reality. Many officials have tried and are not there. I never say never, but have something to fall back on.

Peace