View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

In short, we have all dealt with this sort of thing. If you are new to officiating, congrats on taking on this challenge. I can't tell by your profile so I assume you haven't been doing this very long.

5th/6th grade basketball is instructional, not competitive. Remember fans and most coaches at this level are normally as new to organized sports as their budding athletes. A good ref at this level is just as quick to help the players and parents learn the game as they are to enforce the rules.

Deal with fans only as a last resort. Get the tournament management involved if you think the fan behavior is unsporting. Coach behavior, on the other hand, is your responsibility. Coach behavior is fairly well defined by rule. Brush up on the rules and don't be afraid to enforce them.

And may I suggest that you don't put much stock in what the crowd thinks about you as a referee or you will have a very short career indeed. There's only one person on the floor who's on your team - your partner. Discuss the game with him or her and learn from the mistakes.

Good luck!