View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
As much time and consideration as they put into the brackets they could have contengencies to allow for the late games. OSU's win as much as it hurts to say (being an OU student), should have pushed them up to a No. 1 seed. Duke could pretty much go 15-15 and get a #1 seed. I do think as a #2 OSU has the easiest road though. St. Joe's is the easiet #1. Pitt is the 2nd easiest (maybe 3nd easiest) 3 seed and I don't think there are any other teams in that bracket to even challenge them.
#1, to say that Duke would gewt a #1 seed if they went 15-15 is a rather silly remark.

#2, I'm quite sure if the Committee could have built in copntengencies, they would have. They didn't. Evidently, it wasn't possible.

#3, St. Joes will not make the Final 8, much less Final Four.

#4, Pitt having to play Wisconsin in Milwaukee wasn't real smart on the Committee's part.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I just think the ACC is the most overrated conference around. You are telling me that Maryland, who was not in the tournament a week ago is not a #4 seed? Maryland struggled all year and now they are a #4 seed? Duke got beat by a weak Purdue team on a neutral site (Alaskan Shootout) and they are a #1 seed, but the Big Ten was weak? Michigan cannot make the tournament, but Conference USA, which Louisville struggled the last half of the season, gets 6 teams? Michigan State played the Top 10, played Kentucky as usual, Indiana played Kentucky as well (got killed btw) and the sorry a$$ ACC never plays anywhere with any big conference on the road and they are considered the best conference around? The Big Ten takes all commers each and every year. When has North Carolina gone on the road and beat someone? But this is the class of the country we are talking about?

I think the Big Ten needs to start playing North Carolina A&T and South Carolina A&M at home, then when they have 5 losses in their conference and undefeated in their non-conference schedule (all at home) then maybe they will be considered elite. Now, I can see why they only got 3 teams in, even thought Michigan probably deserved an opportunity. But to see Maryland a #4 seed and North Carolina a #6 seed and seed Wisconsin that won the Conference tournament a #6 seed, when they were in the tournament supposedly all along and Maryland has been on the bubble sense December is curious.

I just do not understand what the thinking was.
#1, who's better, the ACC or the Little 10? Well, let's see, if I remember correctly, the ACC beat the Little Ten, 7-2 in the Challenege. Of course, you can't really call it that, since the ACC doesn't play anybody on the road.

#2, North Carolina, was ranked in the Top 20 all year, so I'm not sure why you're upset that they got a #6 seed. BTW, they beat Illnois regualr season champion Illnois, UConn who was #1 at the time and lost to Kentucky by 5 at UK.

#3, who said Maryland was on the bubble? It wouldn't appear so. If you can beat #3 seed Wake, #2 seed NC State and #1 seed Duke on consecutive days, let's just say that's pretty strong. That's how strong the ACC was this year.

Cry all you want but the ACC was a better conference than the Little Ten this year.

And, even though Duke didn't finish strong, I have no problem with them being a #1 seed, even though I think OSU gets it if the committee waits until all the games are played.