View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Just got home from doing three games in one rec league, and then two more in a different rec league. Man, talk about confusing....

I like a no-zone rule from a player's point of view, but it's so difficult for the refs to adjust to! I almost wonder if it wouldn't be worth it for the league to hire an additional official who would stand under the basket and just watch for the one-on-one. I know it would be expensive and take some more adjusting but it might be worth thinking about.

When my daughter played, she was in one spring league that used a no-free-throw format, but it was an automatic two points for every foul that would have been any kind of shooting, and ball to the team that fouled, just as though the shots had been taken. Automatic three for the T's and intentionals. I liked it because it really taught the girls to play clean. Also, in spring league where the skills are a little rusty, it gave higher scores, and made it a more encouraging, up-building situation. I still think it would be a great way to run a running clock game.

For most kids with less experience, I like the no back court defense rule. It cuts down a little on the score disparity when teams are widely different in skill.

I like ref18's idea about refs tossing parents. I could have used it today!