Thread: Player Position
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Dan's point guard case

R4-15-1
A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)), pushes or bats the ball to the floor once or several times.

R4-15-5
An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

Perhaps there are case book examples that indicate otherwise, but nothing in the dribbling rules say that everytime the ball comes up from the floor it must be pushed back to the floor. If a player allows a ball to bounce in front of them after commencing a dribble, as in Dan's example, I would not consider that case to fall under the category of "momentarily gets away." That statement implies a loss of control, and the following statement seems to confirm it. The ball has never left the control of the point guard and the point can touch it at any point. If the ball gets away from a player, that player would have to move to get the ball and there is clearly a loss of player control. I can't see Dan's case as an interrupted dribble unless there is a specific case that states it is.

Also, I would have trouble with allowing a player in the lane for three seconds, then have the point allow the ball to bounce free for a couple of seconds, then start the three second count again. Doesn't seem to be the intent of this rule.