View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mnref14
19 flippin' T's?????? If it is legitimate basketball, I can not imagine how it is possible. To get that many coaches heated up is hard work, I don't know how an assignor would give you games if you gave out that many T's - how many of those were given because of a completely wrong coach who was upset for no apparent reason? I bet 7 tops. The other 12 were probably a result of various reasons, including working 200 games!!

Uh, how do you know exactly what any of those 19 T's were for anyway? How do you know that they weren't all completely justifed? And why do insist on crapping on one of your fellow officials- Ref 18- without knowing any of the circumstances that were involved with these T's?

Every official establishes their own do-not-cross line when it comes to issuing technical fouls. From an assignor's standpoint (and I am an assignor), I basically don't give a a sh*t if somebody calls more or less T's than someone else. I do care that they are keeping the game under control, and are making sure that is played fairly and in a sportsmanlike manner. If that's the end result that they get, then I'm not gonna second guess the guy that ends up leading the "T" parade, nor will I second guess someone that may not call a "T" all year. Both these guys might be doing the same great job, but they're just doing it differently. I do worry about officials who might second-guess another official's judgement, though, without finding out exactly what all the facts were.