View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by JJ

I've been requested to do a clinic topic on Conflict Resolution, and I'm looking for some suggestions. Having umpired for a LOT of years I've developed my "style", and I realize a couple of things -
1. Consider the source - who you are having the "conversation" with, what they are saying, how they are saying it and why;
2. Be a good listener regardless.
3. It's pointless to try to be "louder".
How about a few of YOUR ideas? Thanks!

At my last HS associating meeting we watched a mechanic tape given by Gerry Davis. In the tape they have what they call the "Question of the Week" The question posed to Major League Umpires was "What is the difference between a Good umpire vs. an Excellent Umpire"

The overwhelming answer was "Handling the Game and the particpants (people) playing the game" In other words obviously The Major League Level is a "different animal" but the point of the response was "Handle people based on the level or type of ball you call"

For Example: If it's a Non-Competitive League vs. a Very Competitive League you would handle different.

People watch TV and think it's OK for coaches to come out and question "everything", therefore we should make it a point to not allow coaches to come out and question judgement calls as they do in the PROS.

If you are on the bases and make a call that a coach doesn't like, after the inning you simply head down the right field line. Very rarely will an experienced coach follow you (chase you down) as that gives the impression that the coach is confrontational. Remember it takes 2 to argue, so don't argue, simply go about your business.

The plate is a little different in that you can't wander too far, but the general rule is stand on the opposite side of where the questionable call came from. Example; if there was a bang bang play at the plate, and you called the runner safe, stand on offensive side as the teams change, conversely, if you called the runner out especially to end the inning, stand on the defensive side.

In reality, a coach can only come out to question rule interpretations and that's when we should give an explanation without being arrogant or unapproachable.

Also, IMO, too many rookie umpires, "threaten coaches" meaning they use phrases such as "Hey Coach if you do that again you are gone" or something along those lines.

I would stress the "Line-up" card technique in your conflict resolution clinic. In other words, Have a "one on one" with the coach by initially requesting his presence to check out a line-up question. Once it's just you and the coach, then you can say something like "Ok skip you had your say it's time to play ball" or something similar to get your point across. It's just you and the coach so you are not "showing him up".

Another mistake rookie umpires make is "hanging around after the game is over". Once the game is over, Greet your partner and head for your car. Do not look for accolades if you think you called a good game, conversely don't be a "target" if you had a bad game. Also, the BU umpire should leave At the same time as the PU. In other words, the PU has to take off all the equipment, etc. so don't leave your partner alone.

In summary, for most situations it's best to simply ignore the coaches comments UNLESS THEY ARE DEGRADING . Regardless "if it was a bad call or not" no-one deserves to be degraded or rediculed. In that case you have no choice but to eject the coach immediately.

Pete Booth