Thread: Jump Stop
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
What if the player, off a penetrating drive, gathers his dribble in mid-air (both feet off the floor) and comes to a good two-footed landing? I assume he still has his one and one-half step move available, using either foot as the pivot. Is this correct?
I'm not sure what "one and one-half step" means -- but in the play you describe, either foot can be the pivot.

The problem with this whole discussion is that the term "jump stop" is not defined and is used differently by coaches and officials.

Here's some guidance from the NCAA -- I think it applies equally well to FED:

As a reminder, when a dribbling player initiates a jump, ends his dribble with both feet off the floor and lands simultaneously on two feet (jump stop), he is permitted to establish a pivot foot. When there is doubt as to how many feet were off the floor when the dribble ended, the official shall assume that the dribble ended with both feet off the floor (which is most often the case); consequently, the player, after executing the jump stop, is allowed to establish a pivot foot. When the official does not allow the player to pivot after a jump stop, he shall be absolutely sure that player ended his dribble with only one foot off the floor.