View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, here is the problem. If I wanted to continue the thoughts about the old thread (game management revisited) I would have just added a reply.

The fact is, I wanted to post a new thread because I am introducing a new thought. I read your entire post BktBallRef. I get your point. At first, I did not make the correlation that you inferred. My apologies. I intended on posting this new thread to make a point about what officials say.

As I stated, this statement has been made before on this site and, I have heard it spoken by officials in my association. When I hear this, many people (maybe not you BktBallRef) are bragging. Clear and simple. There are three different philosophies about T’ing coaches.

1. The ref that goes looking for the coach. “too many officials enjoy being combatitive” - mnref14 (this is out of context too.)
2. The ref that avoids calling the T because they believe that this negatively reflects their skills.
3. The ref that works hard on game management and communication with the coaches but will not allow a coach to go over the line. This official will take care of business when needed

In my humble opinion, cases 1 and 2 are equally dangerous. It should simply be our job to be objective. I don’t appreciate refs bragging about T’ing coaches, nor do I like hearing “I haven’t given a T all year.”

The reason I did not quote the whole post is because I did not want the point to be about “putting the ball down.” You can read what you want to into this post but it is simple- cases 1 & 2 are bad. Case 3 is a hard working official with a healthy understanding of the coaching/technical situation.

Some of you get it. Thanks.