View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 06:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Snaqwells

Quote:
Originally posted by mnref14
I still wish I hadn't used that metaphor, but ... oh, well. Here's the deal....How on God's green earth can any official be forced to put the ball down????? Get them out of the dang huddle....Communicate!!! Who in their right mind is going to say, no we're not coming out???
Who said anything about someone in their right mind. The rule isn't there for coaches in their right mind. It's there for when the coach chooses to ignore us. It's there for a reason, not to be ignored.

Quote:
The only times I've ever seen this done, was during JV games where the officials were just trying to prove a point - its bogus.
Yeah, and your experience is all-inclusive?

Quote:
It makes us look bad, its not necessary - it negatively effects how people perceive us as officials. NOTHING POSITIVE COMES FROM IT. We don't need it.
It's not the thought that it shouldn't happen that puzzles me, it's your sweeping statement that any official who does it is somehow at fault.

Quote:
Its like when I started out officiating and all I did was look for 3 seconds, finally an experienced official said to me, "What good does that do for the game?? Talk to the players, get them to leave the lane." Sure has helped over the last 8 years, if I had said "Forget that guy." And not thought about the concept I wouldn't have improved as an official, but every goofy Dad in the crowd would have thought I was great - "Way to call the 3 seconds." Instead, I'll communicate - I'll stay positive and if players and coaches are willing to do the same it'll be all good.
No one here has advocated calling 3 seconds every time a kid stands there too long. But I doubt that you'll find someone around here who says any official who ever calls 3 seconds is not communicating enough with the players. There are situations where a kid isn't listening for whatever reason. Many officials will go seasons without calling it, and regret it when they are forced to call it. A kid plants himself in the lane, ignoring your repeated attempts to get him out, and he then gets a pass on about count 6 or 7. You're not calling that?
The same is true for putting the ball down. 99 % of the time we can avoid it easily. It's the one time the coach is so caught up in his kids that he doesn't hear us, or is so peaved at us he's going to prove his point.

You can't make the sweeping assumptions you're making.

BTW, I could see making the argument that we should call three seconds rather than talking to the kids. While I'm trying to get A32 out of the paint, and I'm focused on trying to communicate with him, B15 might just knock A20 on the floor and I missed it because I was discussing the philosophy of time with A32.

[Edited by Snaqwells on Mar 9th, 2004 at 05:18 PM]