View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

A "T" is a tool in our bag to use if we feel we need it to control a game. If we can use other tools to prevent getting to that point, that's good preventative officiating and we're better off.

I give less T's than I used to... yet I expect better behavior from coaches than I did in previous years. My expectation of sportsmanship is higher than it used to be yet I haven't given a T in about a year-and-a-half.

When I started, I just reffed the game between the lines and didn't notice signs of frustration or see when a "situation" was developing. I'm a lot better at game management now and I think I head things off before they get to critical mass.

That doesn't mean that I won't give any T's next year.. part of it is luck too. I had real good partners this year and also most of the coaches have seen me many times before and know my expectations now.

We have a couple refs who go looking for T's and lead our association in technicals every year. If they went on the court with a different attitude, they might only have to give one once in a while. They create an adversarial relationship which causes them many problems. I have a whole different pregame when I ref with them... I tell them to just ref between the lines and I'll handle the game management. So far that has worked... knock on wood.

From reading Tony's posts over a long time, I would surmise that he's a pretty good game manager and heads things off before they get bad. I would also surmise that he sure isn't afraid to give a T when needed.

Z