View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Re: How about an alternative mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Since the PU has to stay with the play most of the way to 1st why not just have the PU make the call at 1st and let the BU move over to 3rd for the possible play there. Of course this is something that would have to be covered in your pregame to make sure both umpires are on the same page.

SamC
What you are going to have here is two calls being made from a long way away. The PU is not going to be able to get close to first due to the congestion around the plate area after the bunt.

The BU is going to be moving from the B position and will have a long way to go to get to a good position to make a call on a tag play at third. The BU will also be moving across a potential throwing lane from first to third.

As to the original question of how to cover the play, I say that the PUs first responsibility is the play at first involving the running lane and F4 moving to the bag to take the throw and having trouble finding the bag. The BU has the initial call at first, but too much other stuff can happen and the PU needs to be available for help. As PU on this play, I will first determine fair/foul, follow the throw to first for help while trying to pick up the runner from first with my periphial vision. I can drift some toward third base and still have an angle to help on the play at first. Even though I may be far from third for a play there, I have established a good angle to view the play from and can close hard to make a call if needed.