View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

A coach's perspective.

With all the TV coverage NCAA games get these days, I would think most games are given the TV time-outs every 4 min. You won't get that in a high school game. The Quarter breaks give both teams a chance to rest, regroup, get a drink, and plan the next quarter. For me, teaching 7th grade, it gives me a great spot to sub players. Since I play all my guys, I can divide the quarters in half and make my subs. Otherwise I would have to plan on using a TO to get the same timing and ability to talk to the new group as they go in.

As far as a shot clock, I have never understood this. A shot clock takes away a valuable strategy. Why is it such a problem to allow a team to run their offense for 50 seconds or 2 minutes. A shot clock will create more rushed ill-advised shots at the high school level.

Personally, I think the shot clock was put in so that great strategist like Dean Smith and Bobby Knight could not put games away with thier ball control techniques. The shot clock places more value on an athlete, and less value on a skilled player.