View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 06:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Just my two cents.

Quote:

Not only do I like the fact that this is an approved mechanic, but they should allow us to use some other mechanics that are widely used. I still point to the other direction of the court on fouls that are committed by the offense or the team in control. Not only does this explain what I have, no one misunderstands this mechanic. I go thru the drill doing all the other mechanics, then I point to the other end of the floor. This has become a habit, and no one is confused by it. I have not even been told to stop doing it by IHSA officials. Maybe that will happen, but not yet. I think the NF has to open their thinking and start being more descriptive on their signals.

Peace
I "ship" every foul that goes the other direction, too. It tells my partners and everyone else immediately what we have.

I went to a playoff game this week and watched a good friend work. 2-officials in our little neck of the woods. Both used college mechanics on all the out of bounds calls. I thought it looked great -- DECISIVE. No delay while the hand went up. I'll never understand why the FED and why local associations make such a huge deal about this. My theory is that it is all about power.

--Rich