View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Has eliminating 2 players from the FT line cleaned up play?
It has at least made it easier to officiate. Not sure it cleaned up much of anything. The first two players on the side of the lane, still cause contact with each other. But I do not see that as a bad thing.

Quote:
-Should they leave things the way it is or go to having the low spot empty next season (like NCAAW)?
Leave it the way it is. You are just going to force the defender to push more in my opinion. More rebounding fouls it will cause if you ask me.

Quote:
-Should the NFHS go to 16-minute halves instead of 8-minute quarters?
Yes!!! I think the game would have a better flow. And if they are worried about taking away an opportuntiy to teach the kids, add another full timeout. The current system only creates more possiblity for stress with a last second shot for the players, coaches and officials.

Quote:
-Should the NFHS eliminate the 5-second closely guarded rule while dribbling?
No. This is not college women's basketball. These players will hold the ball dribbling around and you will have more possiblities for fouls to be called. Keep this the way it is. That is why the NCAA Men's got rid of that rule.

Quote:
-Should the NFHS allow shot clocks by state association adoption?
No. I really think you will cause more problems. We have a hard enough time trying to get folks that know how to run the clock the way it is, now we are going to add another fool to run the shot clock and screw that up too?

Quote:
Actually, one of my friends at the meeting made an astute observation -- just one more clueless person on the table to worry about
I feel the same way.

Quote:
There were also questions about taunting, pregame rituals distracting opponents, and other sportsmanship questions.

Oh, and they asked us how we feel about the kicked ball "approved" signal. Does anyone else think that they would've been much better off just slipping the signal onto the chart without comment? I mean, who DIDN'T use a kick signal prior to this season?
Not only do I like the fact that this is an approved mechanic, but they should allow us to use some other mechanics that are widely used. I still point to the other direction of the court on fouls that are committed by the offense or the team in control. Not only does this explain what I have, no one misunderstands this mechanic. I go thru the drill doing all the other mechanics, then I point to the other end of the floor. This has become a habit, and no one is confused by it. I have not even been told to stop doing it by IHSA officials. Maybe that will happen, but not yet. I think the NF has to open their thinking and start being more descriptive on their signals.

Peace