View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Was at an association meeting Monday night and we went through the NFHS's annual survey on rules/rule changes/potential rule changes.

Some of the questions (all these from memory, so I may miss some):

-Has eliminating 2 players from the FT line cleaned up play?

Personally, I don't think it has done much of anything. Not allowing the rebounders to leave until the release has cleaned up play. Actually, it eliminated the requirement that the officials work hard to officiate the positioning they used to do, but that's another argument.

-Should they leave things the way it is or go to having the low spot empty next season (like NCAAW)?

No real opinion from me, although I would think that the defense would probably get even more rebounds.

-Should the NFHS go to 16-minute halves instead of 8-minute quarters?

There was loud opposition to this from the group. I don't understand why. Two fewer last second shots sounds like a good thing to me.

-Should the NFHS eliminate the 5-second closely guarded rule while dribbling?

Are they trying to turn this into NCAAW or what? I think this only works with a shot clock. Oh, the next question:

-Should the NFHS allow shot clocks by state association adoption?

I think these probably WERE put together for a reason. I'd like to go one step further and eliminate the 10-second backcourt violation if we have a shot clock, but I can't imagine that happening.

Actually, one of my friends at the meeting made an astute observation -- just one more clueless person on the table to worry about

There were also questions about taunting, pregame rituals distracting opponents, and other sportsmanship questions.

Oh, and they asked us how we feel about the kicked ball "approved" signal. Does anyone else think that they would've been much better off just slipping the signal onto the chart without comment? I mean, who DIDN'T use a kick signal prior to this season?