View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

A 1-2-1-1 prees is really the same as a 1-2-2. I would sugggest the 1-2-2. If you go with the 1-2-2, you have to trap right away. What I would suggest is putting one of your taller players as the 1 spot. Have him force the inbounds pass to a predetermined side. Then the 1 player and the player on that side in the second row can trap the offensive player.

A 2-2-1 press works well also. It is pretty much the same as the 1-2-2 but you move the man who was in the 1 spot all the way to the back. When you are doing this one, just have the players shift from one side to the other on the court. This is hard to explain with out actually seeing it. Also, the offense will have a man stand in the middle of your 2-2 box. Make sure this man is covered. If the offense gets the ball here they have broke the press. Try to get the player on the side opposite the ball to cover the middle man. Either the man in the first or second row, but usually the first row. Also tell the player all the way in back to watch out for a pass deep up the sideline. The deep player must Be able to intercept these passes.

At such a young age, a man to man press might work best. Some people guard the man who is passing the ball in. I would not suggest this. I say slide him back and have him play "centerfield". Then he is able to help out on cuts and picks with the other 4 defenders. If done right you should be able to get a 5 second call.