Thread: Movin' on up!
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 10:56am
Huck Finn

dblref, I have heard some of the same things you have said and some other things. My question to you would be, at this point in your career are you looking out for those not rated as high as you? If you see someone with the game to move are you speaking on their behalf?

Ref18, Bart gave some valuable information about camps. To piggy back on that I will say find a mentor. It would be more beneficial to you to find an old school mentor. By this I mean someone who will not treat you with kid gloves. The key is to find someone that you know will tell you the right thing and cares about you. A officiating friend will do this for you. Some officials will like to yell at you just to yell. I have two great mentors and they became two of my better friends because what they said they said out of like then as time went on they said it out of love. There are a lot of new officials with thin skin and this isn't a good business for that.
Use this time before you turn 18 to study this game. Go to games (the whole game) and see if the Varsity guys will let you in on their pre and post game. See what they wear, how they look, how they carry themselves, their mechanics, etc. You will need to do this anyway and since you can't work it will get you ahead of the power curve. Read the rules and read them with understanding. Stand on the rules and develop your judgement/game management. Do not let your crew blow a rule on the floor. If a vet doesn't agree then make sure you let it be known that you don't agree and move on. You will benefit from this if you are right or wrong. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about judgement. I'm talking about the application of the rules. I could go on and on. You are fortunate to start at a young age. Take full advantage of it.

And give me some cash when you make it into the NBA!