Thread: Movin' on up!
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I am amazed at the number of officials that "hope" to get a GJV game. In my association (northern VA), we have what we call sub-varsity (JV) officials, swing officials (varsity qualified), and varsity officials. It usually takes 3-5 years to move to "varsity qualified". We run an applicant class at least once a year and these officials usually only work rec ball their first year. The second year, they are working FG and JVG games -- with an experienced partner. They may also do FB and JVB, but not very often.

In order to move up the food chain, JV officials are rated (self initiated) and the better ones are "invited" to a summer league - varsity boys, 3-whistle - where they are paired with at least one varsity official and they work a minimum of 4 games. The rating committee decides which officials are moved to the "swing list". This means you are varsity qualified and you will probably receive a mixed schedule, anything from FG, FB, JV to VG, for the year. It is 95% assured that you won't receive a BV game your first year on swing. Your schedule is also based on your availability to work. I am able to leave work anytime so I usually have either a 4:00 freshman game at one school and a 7:30 varsity game at another school, or a freshman/JV D/H at the same school. We also do the clock at several schools so you may be at one school for all 3 games.

Like any association, we have the good old boy system, but it is not nearly as bad as some of you seem to have. We also have our share of officials that are not as good as they think they are. There will always be politics in any association but I think we have a pretty good system for advancing officials to the varsity level.