View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Tough situation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
That is a tough situation to be in. Were I in that position, I would have waited for the first dead ball and alerted the coach to what I view as unsportsmanlike conduct.

Wow, this is a tough one!!!!!! You would like to think that kids are being taught sportsmanship, integrity etc... at that level but unfortunately, all too often, it all boils down to W's and L's.
How is this unsportsmanlike conduct again?

Isn't it B's job to legally keep A from getting in position? From what I read that's what he was doing.
That's the conflict. In the smaller picture, he was doing a perfect job of keeping A from getting in position. However, in the larger picture, the manner in which it was done was pretty unsportsmanlike, I felt. It goes beyond harassing your man to keep him from getting to his spot or getting a shot off cleanly. This is an older, bigger kid pretty much picking on a littler, younger kid--to the point where the kid was being denied the opportunity to participate. That just isn't basketball. Maybe it just offended my maternal instinct But if I had to invoke a rule, perhaps call it taunting.