View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This happened in a game I was reffing during a camp last summer. I didn't know what, if anything, to do about it then. And I still don't know.

Team A is playing with some rather young players (high school tourney, but the sponsor school brought some jr. high players in on one of their teams). One of the kids is just really young looking and really small.

Several times during the game a certain team B player would "trap" this little player at mid-court. By which I mean that when A would come down on offense this B player would stand in the way of the A player as he got across mid court. When the A player would try to go around him, the B player would move to block his way. No contact occurred, but the B player just kept in his way so that he couldn't ever get down on offense.

I can't really think of any rule that was being violated, it just seemed really mean-spirited to me, almost to the point of bullying. Perhaps I should have asked the B player if it made him feel big to pick on little kids? Perhaps I should have had a word with B's coach? If there had been any contact, I would have dinged the B guy for a bad screen.

Anyway, what think ye? Was there anything I could have done? Or should have I have done anything?