Thread: Unusual
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Big rivalry game. Very close score. The center for team A puts up shot from below foul line. The ball bounces around the rim
and falls in. He turns around in jubilation and throws his fist into the air, straight up to celebrate. A defensive player who was directly behind him, catches the fist on his chin and falls to the floor. What's your call.

This is one of those had to be there and see it plays. Having said that, lets make a few assumptions.

If there have been no problems with the teams so far in the game regarding taunting and the such, you have two courses of action depending upon whether the ball is live or dead.

1) If the ball is dead when the contact occurs, you have nothing but and injured player.

2) If the ball is live when the contact occurs, I would still be inclined to say that this is incidental contact and all you have is an injured player.

If you have been problems with the teams during the game I would be inclined to call this a flagrant foul (technical if the ball is dead; personal if the ball is live).
Why would this make a difference in the call, or non-call? It doesn't change what happened. I really don't know what I would have called, but I don't understand why the call would depend on what did/did not take place earlier.