View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Well, this question seems to have been lost in the insurance discussion below, so I thought I would raise it up a level as I really am interested in what people would do in this situation.

Consider this: R1 on 1st, 0 or 1 outs, BR hits the dying quail to F4, BU calls Catch, Out; PU calls No Catch. R1 and F4 respond to BU's call, R1 holds at 1st and F4 throws the ball back to the pitcher. Savvy 1st base coach hears the PU call No Catch and calls the BR back to 1st and has her stand on the bag with R1, then looks expectantly at the PU. So you as the PU, realizing that you have a 10-6-C situation on your hands, reluctantly call time and meet with the BU. The BU rather sheepishly admits that he is not 100% sure that there was a good catch while you are 100% sure that you saw the ball skip into the glove. So armed with this information, you ...
say to my partner, look, if you hadn't jumped on my call we would have BR safe at first, and most likely R1 out on a tag or force. But, I'll never be able to sell awarding an out that wasn't earned. So, even though your call, which you shouldn't have made anyway, was wrong, we're letting the OUT call stand. The defense gets the out they should have gotten, and the offense still has one runner on 1st.

OK... not entirely serious; but maybe I am!