View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Grey, first you ask for a line and then note confusion as to why I included such a rule. See below.

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
I assume by the rule of stepping on (or out) of the circle you would not worry about leaping or a crowhop. Brian
That's the idea. This is why I suggested you move the pitcher's plate back because we are now going to ignore the leap and crow hop.

With the restriction of staying within the circle on the delivery, they can only go so far with whatever method they choose to use.

Please note: I would never expect anything like this to ever become the rule for a few reasons. First would be the "old school" folks who wouldn't understand the need. The need really doesn't exist, but it gives game officials the ability to concentrate on calling the game at hand and not worry about the "cheating" pitchers. Second would be the people who believe that a 1-0, ten inning game is exciting and that pitching is the show and the batters are a necessary evil. Third, you would have the coaches who realize that their pitcher may have just lost her advantage and there is no longer a method he can teach to beat the system short of throwing side-arm or over-hand.

Remember, Dakota asked for it from umpires and that is the manner in which I responded.