View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fifth And Goal
Hanging on the rim

Just to clarify, in my judgement, he was hanging on the rim to show off. There were no defenders in the immediate vicinity, and his momentum did not cause his body to "swing" to a point where he might be in danger if he let go. However, I was caught so off guard by the dunk that by the time I thought to give the T, he had already let go and his opponents were almost ready to inbound the ball. (Bear in mind that in all my years of officiating rec ball, this was the first dunk I'd ever seen.) I did not think it was worth interrupting the flow of the game with a late whistle. (And yes, I know that late whistles are OK, so long as we're making and selling a good call.)

This particular player was a hothead, and later in the game, he did earn a T. He was fouled by an opponent and went down pretty hard. He got up and started to come toward his opponent, and my partner and I came running in with the Fox 40s at full blast. His teammates were trying to restrain him, but he started shoving them. That earned him a quick T, and fortunately, his coach sat him for the rest of the game.