View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Fifth And Goal
Hey everyone,

First, let me say that this is a great forum. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and I have learned and laughed quite a bit.

I have been working youth rec ball on and off since I was a sophomore in high school. (I'm 26 now). The league I work for is very well run. There are over 900 teams in the league, with age ranges from kindergarten to high school.

I've often thought about joining our local association, but I have a job that demands long hours, and I would have a hard time filling a schedule on weeknights. I've always been able to get plenty of weekend games with my local rec, and the pay isn't bad. Plus, I like working with the younger kids who are still learning the fundamentals of the game.

Like I said, I've been working this rec league for several years, but I had a new situation last Saturday. I was working an 11-12th boys playoff game, and I was the lead on a breakaway. The player was about 6'1, and he dunked the ball and proceeded to hang on the rim. I was so surprised that he could dunk that before I could think about a T for hanging on the rim, he had let go. I decided to pass on a late whistle, and I spoke to him about it during the next time out.

Just goes to show that there are always new situations at every level.

[Edited by Fifth And Goal on Feb 23rd, 2004 at 11:26 AM]
"Hanging on the rim" might be OK.

What did he do while hanging there that made you think T?