View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 09:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Ovens
i had a game last night. As A1 puts up a jumpshot, my partner call a foul on A2 for fouling B2 after the ball is released and in the air.

The question that should have been asked is whether or not A2's foul was committed bfore A1's attempt was released?
The question was answered six and a half hours before you asked it.From Josh's original post above,the foul occurred after the shot was released.

Here is the direct qoute from Josh's post:

my partner asked me if the ball was released before he blew the whistle. and i told him, "the ball went in, it was released before the foul/whistle blew."

The official's whistle will always sound after the foul has been committed. So once again, I ask, was the ball released before the foul or after the foul. Saying that the ball "was released before the foul/whisle blew" does not answer the question I posed in my first post.

In Josh's play only two things could of occured: 1) the ball was released before A2's foul or 2) the ball was released after A2's foul. The sounding of the official's whistle has no bearing on the play except to signal that a foul has occured and that the clock if running should be stopped.

I am not disagreeing with you concerning the Casebook Play you referenced. I posed my question in my first post to remind officials that it is not the sounding of the whistle that is important but when the foul was committed in relation to the release of the field goal attempt.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio