View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
We recently discussed a play in which a runner deliberately passes another runner to ensure that the third out of an inning is not a force play.

Have we ever gone over deliberate interference?

Abel on 3B, Baker on 2B, Charles on 1B, 1 out. Daniels, a slow runner, hits a hard one-hopper to F6 and falls down as he is leaving the batter's box. F6 steps on 2B for the force out on Charles and, seeing that Daniels is far from 1B, decides to take his time for an easy throw to 1B for the double-play. Abel scores. Charles then catches the throw to 1B.

Do you go by the book and call Baker, the runner closest to home, out? If so, the run will score.

Or do you consider the DP complete at 1B so that the run is nullified?

I'll stay with the book. Assuming Baker reached 3B prior to the interference, the run will score. There is nothing in the rule book which instructs me to allow anything else. And before you go to 10.1.L, that tells me that I can not penalize a team if that penalty creates an advantage for the offending team. It doesn't say I may alter the effect of a rules violation to suit my beliefs.