Thread: How Much money
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I was unclear in my post, I am thinking of doing it because I like basketball, and think I may like officiating. I like mind challenges, which reffing seems to be, Kind of like a super high speed life size chess match.

I was just curious about the money.;

I run a couple of leagues for my church, volunteer. I have had great fun doing that, and reffin in that league. Obviously no formal training, but am proud of cleaning up the sportsmanship in my first year ("this league won't be hijacked by thugs, punks or whiners, so play nice or get lost" --kind of attitude. It works in church ball)

My "pregame" usually consists of the following:
"sorry the other guy (volunteer) who was supposed to ref didn't show up tonight, I'll be doing it by myself. As a result I can guarentee you 2 things; first-- I will miss some calls, and second, you calling my attention to the fact that I am missing calls will not help your situation."

Obviously what I am doing now has no relation to actual organized ball, but I am having enough fun to think maybe I could take up reffing as a hobby in my retirement years. And yes, I do know enough to realize that you would have to be insane to do it for the money.