View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 11:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
I love to officiate, therefore I guess I would adapt but it just seems like a conflict of interest to let the schools or coaches do the selecting. Here, we have one guy that does the selecting and he very recently was a D1 official (think he still is) He is pro-official and he, at least, has an idea of what makes a good official. This is his second year and he made many changes.
ronny,
To have an assignor of that caliber, or to have someone like JR, with his vast knowledge and experience, do the selecting, life must be good.
Thanks for the kind words, Mick, even though I almost gagged on my cornflakes when I read them.

Now, to be serial( or cereal):I really think that to select officials properly, the person(s) selecting should definitely have officiating experience. He also shouldn't be swayed by any external issues, such as politics, etc. Unfortunately, from what I've heard, the ol' debbil "politics" can still be the determining factor in a lot of areas. I've had coaches ask me about having more input into the selection of officials. I usually ask them the same questions- i.e. "When you're coaching, are you watching the officials, or are you watching the play,players,etc.?"; "If you watch a game, do you concentrate on the officials, and not the game?"; "Did you read the mechanics manual so that you know when an official is where he is supposed to be, and not really out of position?"; "Did you pass the NFHS rules exam this year, and do you also keep current with the latest interpretations,etc.?".

When I read about states that assign games without any input at all from the officials, or without checking input if they do get some, well, you just have to wonder. Unfortunately, usually nothing gets done about it though. That's when you end up with guys going to regionals from their area, while better officials are staying home.