View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Mike before I comment sounds like your association is in need of umpires. Referee magazine (February's Issue) addressed this problem. There is a lack of officals around the country and also a lack of new recruits . Believe it or not at least in the Freshman (Modified) / JV arenas it is becoming the norm to work the game alone as there is just not enough officials.

Varsity is already going to 3 man crews (at least for playoffs) and there is talk about having 3 man crews all the time which means: Less umpires available for Freshman / modified and JV.

Last year I did roughly 1/3 of my HS games alone and indications are this year will not be any different.

Finally I will address your question:

1. Position yourself wherever your association wants you to.
My association wants you behind Home Plate when working alone. Others might prefer behind the mound - that's up to your association so abide by their wishes.

2. When doing the game alone, IMO we must have what I call GIVENS so we are consistent. When we are behind Home Plate the call at second and even third are tough ones. Therefore, if ball beats runner / tag where it is supposed to be (ie; down low not up high) we have an OUT!
Do not even look for the actual tag.

3. I might be in the minority on this one but when doing the game alone my strike zone is bigger. Why! We have a lot to think about especially with men on base - Is F1 Balking? I got to get out from behind home plate and get a good angle
on a possible DP ball, etc. In other words, when doing the game alone we can't strictly concentrate on Home Plate and F1, therefore, to be as consistent I have a bigger zone.
Also, let's face it especially in the heat we do not want a marathon.

4. Patrick gave some real good tips so I will only add this.

HUSTLE! HUSTLE! HUSTLE! It's been my experience that even if you miss some calls (which is a given working alone), if the coaches see you hustle , they appreciate this
and won't give you any flak. However, if you remain stationary, they have a problem with this.

If things remain the same, umpiring alone will become more of the norm rather than the exception.

Pete Booth