View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Correct me please if i wrong, but..

The throw-in doesn't have to be completed onto the court, just the opportunity must be given to complete the throw-in. What i mean by this is that a player who team has been given the ball via the alternating possession rule must be given an opportunity to complete the throw.

If the thrower-in committs a violation or the throwing in team committs a foul before the throw-in has been committed, they will lose the ball and the right to the next possession.(swith the arrow). If the defensive team committs a foul before the throw-in is completed, i would not change the arrow, because the offensive team is getting the ball as a result of a foul.(the offensive team wasn't given an opportunity to complete the throw-in resulting from the jump ball, there for will get the ball and the next possession via AP) Am i correct or do i have it wrong?

keep smiling
SH
Not quite.

6-3-4 States that the AP arrow switches when the AP throw-in ends. The AP throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or the throw-in team violates.

If a foul occurs, the violated team gets the ball independent of the AP arrow, so the arrow does not switch. 6-3-5 has the foul/no-switch rule.