View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I'm surprised that nobody has noted the subtext of what BBCoach is saying. His team got up 14-0. Obviously at that point he wasn't complaining about the officiating. I have yet to see a coach with such fast start whine to the refs. At some point, the opposing team went on a run and BBCoach, by his own admission, blamed the refs for it and did it vocally. The result: his lead evaporated and he was given a T. After the T, he presumably behaved himself and his team righted the ship and went on to win the game. BBCoach should be thanking the officials for the T which forced him to shift focus to coaching from the refs.

This exact storyline is typical for many games, particularly sub-varsity games where the players are more emotional and less in control. The coach has a tremendous amount of control over the reactions of parents and players. Most average teams will take any excuse for failure that you give them, and blaming the refs is tantamount to giving players excuses for failure. I've noticed that when the coach is BSing about our calls that I'm more likely to have a player whine about being fouled after a missed shot when it is evident that there was no contact than if the coach is not whining. Many players are looking for excuses for failure and coaches give them that excuse by accusing the refs of cheating, like you did BBCoach. The more a coach complains, often the worse his team plays. That's why "working the refs" usually backfires and it's also probably why your team gave up a huge lead. COACH AND TEACH THE PLAYERS. It is the job of every coach to teach his/her players to focus only on what they can control. No matter what you think, you can't control the refs.

By the way: The comment about, "Who's paying you" could land you a flagrant T with some officials I know.
This post is right on point. COACH AND TEACH THE PLAYERS!

LET ME REF!!!!!!