View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Just because I know y'all will set me straight, tell me if I'm reading the rule correctly and applying it correctly:

1-Player with basketball goes down to his/her knees while holding ball. TRAVELING (Rule 4-43 Article 5: "A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.")

2-Same player goes to knees but continues to dribble. NOT TRAVELING. (One of the fundamentals is that it's impossible to travel during a dribble)

3-Player already on his or her knees because of a scramble for the ball comes into possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING as long as he/she doesn't attempt to stand up. They can pass or shoot from their knees, but if they attempt to get up, it's a travel, right?

4-Player dives on floor (along with others) and gains possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING unless the player rolls away from a defender, right? They can pass or (though it's logistically unlikely) shoot, or call time out, as long as they don't roll away from a defender. Or is it just rolling in general?

Thanks. Sorry for those of you for whom these are obvious.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.