View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcarter
As i posted earlier last night was my first official games as a ref.

My question is, I felt very uncomfortable in the lead position. Even thought my much experienced partner said position wise I was always in the rite spot, I felt that i could not see everything that I should be seeing.

Is it just human nature and being new that i tend to focus more in the area of where the ball was instead of scanning over the area in which a lead should be covering? Even though I did catch myself doing this alot I still could not consitantly keep my eyes in my own area.

will this pass with more experience? what did you guys do to keep from wanting to follow the ball all the time?

We have been conditioned to be or watch 'were the action is', and the action, to us, seems to be where the ball is. NineO1c and Rainmaker had some great suggestions; I would definitely recommend you try those.

Another simple suggestion is to identify your primary boundaries each time you set up from transition. NOW you know exactly what area to be focused on when the ball is somewhere else.

When you see that first off-ball foul--Sell it! Call loudly, the color of the jersey being worn by the offending player, point the other direction everyone's gonna be going (of course do your other preliminary signals) and go report it. Great call. You will be well on your way to being a great 'off-ball' official; one your partners can trust to call his area.