View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In last night's Soph boys game, I had another first (aside from my very first fight.) First, a recap. I had V Monday night on their home court, and then Tuesday night at a third school. (The third time was not a charm.) Monday, I'm U, and watching the jump, I notice (late) that H1 tips the ball on the way up. Before I process what happened (and unswallow the whistle), we're under the basket and H2 is getting a bucket and one. I kicked the call, and I knew it.
Tuesday, I'm R so I don't see. Besides, players don't seem to time my toss well (something I need to work on, probably), so I doubt if they hit it on the way up.
Friday, I'm U again and watching for the violation this time. Sure enough, V1 (previously H1) tips it on the way up and I blow the whistle and we start with a throw in rather than a jump.
Half time- Vistitors' book asks me what the deal was on the jump, and I explain that it's a violation to hit the ball before it peaks. Find out there that the kids have been trying to do that all year. Not sure if that was coached or not, but I just affirmed it was a violation and we moved on.

Adam