View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
I tread pretty lightly on this site because I know I'm not as rule savvy as most of you, and I know this site isn't really for non-refs, but for those of you who wonder why you don't get more respect, you need to look at the other side of the a/d argument, from a coach's or fan's perspective. Because a/d does have a dark side.

I've been a part of games where "incidental" contact escalates until, basically, the game gets out of control. Incidental contact becomes hard fouls, and by the time the officials start calling fouls, frustration and anger have reached a boiling point. I'm not whining about my team - we've been on the offending side as much as we've been on the offended side.

And, you're right, not all contact is a foul, but if you're not going to be consistent with your calls, or you're not going to establish ahead of time a line beyond which everything is a foul, you set yourself up for failure. If someone slaps a passer on the arm, it shouldn't matter whether the pass was successful or not in your decision to call a foul.

As for the three second call, I think not making the call is a cop-out. If you call it a couple of times, players will wise up. Or, they'll be taken out of the game.

If a player bringing in the ball uncontested picks it up, and just walks with it under his arm to half court, where the defense is waiting in a passive zone, do you call the travel? The ball handler isn't gaining an advantage. But, its a violation, so you call it. Three seconds in the lane is a violation - call it.
Coach -- You're right, and right to point it out. A/D should be applied only on the borderline calls, and doesn't matter on the hard foul, regardless of the situation. And we should keep saying that, because when we don't some newer or dizzyer refs will think we've got a rule about it like soccer, and let everything get out of hand.

I do want to make one little distinction, though, in what you said. The slap on the passer's arm, whether the pass makes it or not, may actually NOT be a foul at all if it's on the hand which is still in contact with the ball. I know YOU know that rule, but for the fans out there reading this, I just want to clarify that when the hand is in contact with the ball it's fair game. A slap can sound pretty bad, and still not be a foul.

and btw, you are one of very few coaches in this country who don't fall under the blanket criticism we often give. You try hard to improve your knowledge of the game, and the rules, and you are humble and open-minded when you are corrected. We could all learn a lesson from you.

Besides, you have a truly great signature line!