View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Basically, when enforcing the LBR in the past, I have ignored the statement in question in the POE. It never made any sense to me stand-alone (and I could find no context in the POE where it did make sense; it is kind of in the middle of a discussion of BR responsbilities, but even considering the technical issue that a BR becomes a runner once passing 1st, the sentence still makes no sense to me...) It seems to be in direct contradiction to 8-7T-1 of the rule itself.

BUT...

Upon closer inspection, the POE seems to have re-written the rule. This had to have been intentional, but why wasn't the rule itself changed?

Here is the rule (I've bold-faced what are substantial differences between rule and POE...)

ASA Rule 8-7T-1.
Quote:
When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result of a batter completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has control of the ball within an eight foot radius of the pitcher's plate, the runner may stop once, but then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.

Here is the opening paragraph of the POE
ASA POE 33 (2003)
Quote:
When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result of a batter completing a turn at bat, and is stationary when the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the runner must immediately advance to the next base or immediately return to the base left.

Notice that the POE, in restating 8-7T-1 removes the allowable stop, and further make the whole paragraph only apply to a stationary runner.

IOW, the POE seems to be explaining a different rule than the rule book contains.

The case book sheds no light since there is no case listed that covers this specific point about the allowable stop. It would appear that the POE has removed it - the runners are no longer allowed a stop, according to the POE.