View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefRx
In Wa state the last couple of years there has been directions from the state office that A/D is not a consideration, that a "foul is a foul". I find that next to impossible to adhere to personally. Maybe to say that a situation does not have a direct impact on a play would be a way to address it. A newer official (and some older ones) never understand the implications of A/D and the game they call usually reflects tat lack of understanding. There are situations where contact may not put a player in a A/D situation but to ignore the contact would not be the wise choice. The contact on the pass mentioned above if ignored because the pass was completed could, and often does, lead to a retalition foul. The problem with the A/D is as Mark indicated in that it was carries over to violation situations by many officials where it does not apply
I work over 600 games a year from youth to adults,where every player played college or pro ball,and I can not recall one time that a player retaliated after they got hit
on the arm during a pass.

I've had players ask why I did not call a foul and I've had them ask why I had a late whistle after their team stole the ball,but I've NEVER had one player go head hunting.