View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

I've seen three threads recently come down to advantage/disadvantage. One was about three seconds (call when an advantage is gained) and one was about the T for making contact OOB. The third was about driving the lane with heavy contact.

I know in the soccer rule book, there is an allowance made for A/D. However, I don't see the same latitude in the basketball rule book.

I will admit to passing on the contact OOB technical with a few seconds left in a blowout when the winning team had the ball. It would have had no effect on the final outcome. However, I am not sure it is right to change the way I call penalties (3 seconds) or PC fouls as to whether it is advantageous for a team or not.

Now, if they rewrite the rule book, and make a signal for ADVANTAGE: PLAY ON, I'll enforce it. But if a coach is mad that I called a foul on the other team that 'stole' a layup from his team, I'm sorry! It was still a foul. I've got enough to think about getting all the calls right without trying to determine who gains an advantage by me making or kicking a call. Enforce the rule book, as written. That's why they wrote it. 'Nuff said.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!!

[Edited by mplagrow on Feb 12th, 2004 at 06:53 AM]