View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:01pm
Administrator

While doing the research for my post in the Alternating Possession thread, I found some interesting reading regarding false double fouls and simultaneous fouls.

Two years ago there was a very long thread about how to handle simultaneous fouls.

The play in quesion is as follows:

While the ball is live, A1 fouls B1 and at the same time B2 fouls A2. I stated that this was a false double foul. I stated that if either team was in the bonus, those free throws, and then the AP Arrow would be used to put the ball back into play.

I was taken to task by many, many officials for having the temerity to define this play as a false double foul. While perusing the NFHS 1984-85 Casebook, I found the following play:

6.2.3. PLAY: While A1 is attempting to make a throw-in, A1 fouls B1 and B2 simultaneously fouls A2. Team A is in the bonus but Team B is not. RULING: Since both fouls are simultaneously committed, the ball will be put in play with a center jump between any 2 opponents following the one-and-one free throw attempt by A2. This is a false double foul. (R4-S15-A3)

A supporting rule from the 1984-85 NFHS Rules Book is R6-S2-A3: The ball shall be put in play in the center circle by a jump ball between any 2 opponents following simultaneous personal fouls committed by opponents.

Since the NFHS adopted the AP Arrow starting in the 1985-86 season, the casebook play from the 1984-85 Casebook became:

6.3.3B. PLAY: While A1 is attempting to make a throw-in, A1 fouls B1 and B2 simultaneously fouls A2. Team A is in the bonus but Team B is not. RULING: Since both fouls are simultaneously committed, the ball will be put in play with a throw-in by the team entitled to it under the alternating procedure following the one-and-one free throw attempt by A2. This is a false double foul. (R4-S15-A3)

A supporting rule from the 1985-86 NFHS Rules Book is R6-S3-A3g: In all jump ball situations other than the start of the game and each extra period, the throw-in shall be from the out-of-bounds spot nearest to where opponents commit simultaneous personal or technical fouls.

Prior to the 2001-02 season, the NFHS penalty for a false double foul which were simultaneous fouls was that all free throws were to be attempted before the AP Throw-in. Starting with the 2002-03 season the penalty for this type of false double foul was changed so that no free throw attempts would be taken before the AP Throw-in.

My rule basis for defining simultaneous fouls (personal or technical) as a false double foul have not changed even though the free throw portion of the penalty has been removed.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio