View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
There is a game situation that has always bothered me. It happens in a fast boys game. When a dribbler charges into the paint for a layup and crashes into the chest of a defender with legal guarding position, it is an easy player control call. But, as happened last night, the defender is set up in the paint and not moving. The dribbler charges in and goes to one side enough to get his head and shoulders around the defender before contact occurs. A body on the floor. A call has to be made quickly. I called a block. My "logic" is that the defender never aquired legal guarding position; he never got in front of the defender, facing him, with both feet on the floor. But in reality, he was intitled to the spot he was in because he WAS there first and he never moved. I hope that you can envision the situation I am trying to describe with words. Had the defender lifted a foot off the floor to move in, the call would have been a no brainer, but he never moved a muscle. Had he not ended up on the floor, I would likely have no called it. I have seen this situation many times and I have never been comfortable with it. I am not satisfied that either call-a charge nor a block is a really good call but something had to be called. Can anyone offer any insight regarding this situation.

You answered you own question. B1 had a legal position on the court relative to A1 and B1 never moved until A1 made contact with B1 with such force that B1 was knocked to the ground. Common foul against A1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio