View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

I believe that the tossing of the ball back inbounds which constitutes the first dribble in 7.1.1 Sit D is being interpreted as becoming an interrupted dribble while the player is momentarily OOB after making the saving toss. Since the ball is inbounds and the dribbler is OOB one could certainly make the case that the ball has momentarily gotten away from the dribbler. Since there is no player control during an interrupted dribble, there is no violation if this player comes back inbounds and touches or picks up the ball. It is however a double-dribble violation if the player picks up the ball and then starts another dribble.
Hope that settles the apparent contradiction for you.
Ok, I agree with this the most. You don't have a violation here if the player was inbounds when she continued her dribble. However, 10-3-3 "Player shall not leave the court for an unauthorized reason." This is a player tech. I would say avoiding defensive pressure is an unauthorized reason.

Choice: Allow play to continue (i.e. no violation or OOB) or call the T. I'd go with the latter.