View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Hang in there.....

Juulie.

I am a 2nd yr official who has had many "teachable moments." This forum has been some of the "therapy" for this...

As for your situation chronicled in this thread.... It is obvious that you made a call that was well within your discretion. Standing firm in that call and reporting it to the scorer's table is exactly what you do. If necessary at this time, address the coaches "calmly and definitively" (even though your heart is pounding in your throat) explain what you saw and your determination to the coaches. Do not use language that opens the door for discussion. Example: "Coach, this is what I saw... and this is what is going to happen next...." That is it. You have made your effort, now it is the coaches' choice on how THEY will act.
As for crowd control.... is game management's responsibility

Some of the things I have done:

1.) Keep studying the rules. The more you read (and reread, with the intent of understanding the application of the rule) the more confident you will feel with each game.

2.) Get a local "mentor". Yes, this forum is good, but it is not the 1st hand observation and instantaneous feedback that you need.

3.) Accept that, as an official (rookie or veteran), you CAN NOT "see it all." Just call what you see. Despite how hard you try, your going to miss a few.

4.) Don't be so critical on yourself. The coaches will do more than their share of "correcting" your calls. (Even when you do have the correct call.) Along with this, YOU are not going to please (or find agreemement) many, if any coaches.

5.) This is ONLY a GAME. Yes, we give it our best effort, each and every time, but in the end. IT IS JUST A GAME.

Hope this helps...