View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 06:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hey,

Here's my "dilemma":

I am 28. I'm in the 6th year (more or less) of officiating. I've had some amazing successes, and continue to be called to ref some fairly heavy games. However, when cleanly shaven, which is almost all the time, I look like I am younger. I've gotten anywhere from 18 (that makes me laugh) to 23. Typically, people's responses are 21, 22.

This one coach, after I reffed his team, called our board's assignor and complained that I was very lazy during the 1st half. This coach, in the past, has made comments regarding my youth, during games. Some comments, as I've interpreted them, are 'talking down to me'. As an official, I feel like I have to determine what is personal and what are comments against the position of a referee. On some occasions, he's lead me to believe that he thinks I am a high school student. To me, this is personal. Comments during a game such as "you'll understand better when you're older" was said before Christmas.

I'm not sure how to handle this within my local board. I'm assured them that I will take this accusation seriously, and will work harder (they know me to be a hard worker) becuase of the comment.

Has anyone else had to deal with anythign like this? I know it's a weird post, but this coach is rapidly loosing alot of respect from me, and if I am assigned to another of his games, I'm concerned that I will have to take things to another level. Either a formal complaint about him, or T him up. However, to T him up for such comments seems kinda "weenie".

Comments, questions, etc.... are very welcomed!

..Mike