View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Kinda off subject but, my partner and I had a Coach visit our Dressing Room last night. He was the Varsity Home Coach...the losing Coach (by 1 pt.) This Coach was a class act. He knocked and asked if he could enter the room. Now you know us officials don't have egos or like to brag... but, this Coach went on to tell us that we had done an excellent job of officiating, and that he appreciated a job well done.

My partner was very glad to hear this, because the night before he had and ugly situation arise at the end of an overtime game he did.
I'll try to be brief...and explain it as told to me.
Said Official called an intentional flagrant foul with 5 seconds left in OT against the Visiting Team. The Visiting team was down by 5pts at the time. It was a frustration foul with the player throwing the other player down to the ground hard. After the foul, the same player "chested" up to another player and said, "I'll kick your a** too"! Said Official seperated the two players and reported the intentional flagrant foul. Visiting Coach was told of the ejection and stated that "yeah, he shouldn't have done that".
During the FT's someone must have told the Coach of the ramifications of an ejection...i.e. player to miss next game.
Visiting Coach went balistic...other official had to calm him down while said Official administered the FT's.
Game ended with said Official at the far end of the court. As said Official was running off the court, and trying to catch up with the other official, he saw something out of the corner of his eye. It was the Visiting Coach making a beeline toward him. Said Official said he stopped "out of instinct" only to hear the Visiting Coach say, "You F***ing homered us, that was B*** S***"! Said Official told him he needed to get away from him and go to the other end of the court. (Where visiting locker room was) Yes, official was still on the court.
Anyway, both officials went to their locker room with nothing else eventful happening.
Assignor wants full report and will be turning this into the State Administrators.

BTW, I told said Official the Coach was a jerk, and deserves to be punished. But, a learning experience can come out of this...Don't stop for an irate coach or fan after a game...keep on moving, and get to the locker room.
Even though this is totally the Coach's fault, maybe it could have been avoided if the Official had just ignored him. Again, I said maybe...if Official wants to nail him with a Flagrant T right there, it would be IMO justified.
Comments?

Richland, WA