View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

It wasn't really a proper "locker room" per se. This is fifth-through-eighth grade Catholic suburban league. It was just a storage room right off the court. The teams went into slightly larger storage rooms right off the court, and we stowed our bags and jackets in the smallest one right in the middle. You'd have to see the tiny little gym to understand.

But the guy just wanted to get it off his chest - he was frustrated because his team lost and because he must be one of those guys who thinks the games should be an endless parade of free throw shooters. He thought his team got the short end of it, and if they did (besides the score), it wasn't because of anything conscious we were doing.

He spoke his piece and left, and that was the end of it. No escalation, which might have happened had he not had the opportunity to vent. I hope that he'll wake up tomorrow and feel differently, but if not, hey, that's basketball. We're out there trying our best.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.